Monday, January 16, 2006

Happy Happy Wheat Free

Since my friend David and I have been talking about wheat free diets, and he has now linked me on his blog, http://whateverisnew.blogspot.com/, I think I should do a little write up on this whole wheat free thing. I personally have had dramatic results in my life because I have gone wheat free. Symptoms that have disappeared when I am wheat free, and that return when I eat it are: depression, fatigue, irritability, numbness and tingling in my arms, bloated stomach. I have personally seen people cured of reflux as a result of getting off wheat. I have seen many children with disruptive behaviour calm down when they are fed a wheat free diet.

Is all this anecdotal? Perhaps. But there are several websites with excellent information available. I am linking some here. One of my favorites is Brain Talk Communities, http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141. This is the specific link to gluten sensitivity. This link is to general categories available on the site: http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/index.php? I believe there is a high incidence of people struggling with wheat/gluten intolerance. There thousands of children on anti depressants. Could this be related to the junk food diet so many people eat today? If you google wheat sensitivity, gluten intolerance or celiac disease, you will get all sorts of links. I think there is a non celiac sensitivity to wheat that can occur, so even if a test does not reveal a celiac problem, going off wheat will show if unexplained symptoms will go away.

The great thing about this is that it only takes 4 days completely off wheat to know if it is a problem (actual intestinally related problems may take longer). You might want to discuss this with your doctor, but I have found most doctors are not really familiar with this problem.

Giving up wheat is not as difficult as it sounds. I make a killer wheat free brownie that people love! We have wheat free donuts, cookies, waffles, pancakes and all sorts of delicious meals. There are all sorts of tricks at keeping the cost down too.

So, if anyone reading this is intrigued, and wants to chat about it, let me know!

9 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger David Edward said...

I had two disasters since I quit wheat, and now you won't answer my IM. This is making me feel great, Got ant other miracle cures, while we are at it ?

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger David Edward said...

any

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger David Edward said...

day one and a half - I have got the shakes really bad, I came for klunch and opened the cracked wheat loaf of bread pulled two slices out and the realized I could not eat them. I ate the ham only - and prayed to die before dinner.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Thank you for you kinds words and for your encouragement. It will be interesting to see if Tobias works in the medical field. Time will tell.

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger David Edward said...

just try driving without wheat in your veins, it is darn near impossible!

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger David Edward said...

day 6.37
feeling like I cpould kill this girl next to me for her toasted bagel!

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger David Edward said...

I confess I ate a cookie and almost puked - lady wisdom, please perform cpr on me!!!

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger David Edward said...

liz I would go one further --- what sort of MOM would neglect her blog like this. maybe we should call BPS ( Blog Protective Services) do you know their local number? hehe

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger David Edward said...

this blog needs a mommy, anyone want to adopt it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home